- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter – room temp
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs – room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats – not instant
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrots – about 3 large carrots
- 1 cup raisins – optional (i hate raisins so i omitted)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, silpats, or simply spray with cooking spray.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 – 4 minutes in a stand mixer). Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until well combined.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger; whisk to combine. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Mix in oats, carrots, raisins (if using) and walnuts. Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape tablespoons of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. I flattened mine a bit and sprinkled a bit of sugar on the tops before putting in the oven.
- Bake until browned and crisp around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes (mine took 11 minutes so check early) rotating halfway through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 stick of butter, at room temp
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temp
- 8 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- Combine butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- While mixing at a low speed, add sugar.Once combined, add a splash of vanilla extract.
- Mix on a medium to high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and fully combined. Frost and enjoy!