Pupusas- delicious pre-Hispanic El Salvadoran recipe
Have you ever heard of Pupusas? For those unfamiliar, Pupusas are a traditional pre-Hispanic El Salvadoran dish made of thick corn tortillas stuffed with a variety of creative fillings. Made with simple ingredients and bursting with flavor, this ancient and beloved dish is unique, indulgent, and wonderfully comforting.
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for Chicken Pupusas. It’s a somewhat surprising blend of creamy cheese, boiled chicken, and bell peppers, made with a perfect tortilla dough. These pupusas are incredibly easy to make and are sure to be a hit with your family and friends!
Ingredients for Chicken Pupusas
-4 cups masa harina
-2 cups warm chicken broth (divided in 1/2)
-1/2 cup refried beans
-1 cup diced cooked chicken
-1/4 cup diced bell peppers
-1/4 cup queso fresco
-1/4 cup grated cotija cheese
-Vegetable or olive oil
Instructions to prepare Chicken Pupusas
1. In a large bowl, combine the masa harina and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Knead well and form a soft dough. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a pan over medium heat. Stir in the diced chicken and bell peppers, cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Divide the dough into 8-10 balls. Place each one in between two pieces of plastic wrap, and roll out into flat circles about 4 inches in diameter.
5. Place 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the center of each circle, add a tablespoon of queso fresco and a pinch of cotija cheese.
6. Fold the circle in half, pressing the edges together and forming a half-moon shape.
7. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
8. Add the pupusas and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
9. Serve with your favorite salsa, sour cream, and extra grated cheese.
These Chicken Pupusas are so unique and tasty. All of the ingredients come together to form an unforgettable and memorable dish. The creamy cheese and crunchy bell peppers, paired with the boiled chicken and goodness of the warm, soft tortilla – it’s pure comfort food!
Pupusas are easy to make, cheap and don’t require fancy ingredients. They’re quite similar to Latin American empanadas, yet they have their own unique personality and flavor. If you’re looking for a new way to express your culinary creativity, give these pupusas a try. Your family and friends will love them!