I am always looking for recipes that my children will like and I really struck gold with this one. The apples on top seemed to really fascinate them and I could barely hold them back. For us adults I served with a nice vanilla ice cream and a caramel sauce. Overall this was a wonderful full flavored light and fluffy cake that I am sure i will be making again very soon.
- 3 large golden delicious apples
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 scant teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, stirred before measuring
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- Heat oven to 325°. Butter a 9-inch square cake pan or spray with baking spray. Core the apples and cut into wedges; peel and slice thinly. Combine apple slices with the brown sugar, 1 scant teaspoon of cinnamon, and 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Arrange the apple mixture in the prepared baking pan.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl. In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture to the first mixture, alternating with the milk, beating just until blended. Spoon the batter evenly over the apple slices; gently spreading to cover. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert the hot cake onto a platter or cake plate and let stand for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan and scrape up any fruit slices clinging to the pan and arrange them over the cake.