Mushroom Risotto and Arugula Salad
Risotto (arborio) rice – about 3-4 handfuls
4-5 Crimini mushrooms (or whatever you like) chopped
1/2 large onion (or 1 small) chopped
1/2 fennel bulb (save fronds for garnish!) chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped or mashed, your preference
1/4 c of Cognac
4 cups approx of chicken stock
Juice of half lemon
1 knob of butter
- Arugula (roquette/rocket)
- Lemon Juice of 1/2 lemon
- cracked pepper
How to make Mushroom Risotto and Arugula Salad
Over med-high heat:
1. 3-4 turns of EVOO around a deep skillet. Add knob of butter. Add rice and stir until glossy/transluscent. About 4 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and fennel.
3. Deglaze with 1/2 cup of the stock. Let absorb.
4. Keep adding stock, a little bit at a time and KEEP STIRRING.
5. About 15 minutes in, add cognac.
6. Continue adding stock. You may not use it all. Keep testing the rice for that “al dente” consistency. Total cook time will be about a 1/2 hour.
7. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper to taste.
8. Garnish with parmasean cheese and fronds!
Salad: Mix the EVOO, lemon juice and salt & pepper. Toss with the arugula. Mmm!