Welcome to the world of deliciousness, my fellow bakers and Lebkuchen lovers – today I’ll be introducing you to an old-world treat which promises to engulf your tastebuds in an enchanting swirl of flavor: Lebkuchen Cake.
For those unfamiliar, Lebkuchen (German for “gingerbread”) is an intriguingly delightful traditional German pastry made of spices and honey, which has been enjoyed for centuries. With its unique aroma and tender texture, Lebkuchen has long been prized amongst European cultures as an exquisite addition to holiday feasts, where is it often served with a flurry of hot cocoa, mulled wine, and laughter.
Today, I’m pleased to share with you my own version of this delicious treat, my Lebkuchen Cake. Unlike traditional Lebkuchen recipes, this new twist takes the flavor of brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and luscious honey to the next level by turning these classic ingredients into a delectably moist, layer cake. Filled with an enchanting blend of fresh apples, walnuts, and raisins – which infuses each bite with a blend of sweet, nutty, and chewy flavors – this is one cake that you won’t soon forget!
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 cup dark brown sugar
• 2/3 cup honey
• ½ cup vegetable oil
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup apples, diced
• ½ cup walnuts, chopped
• ½ cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugar until combined.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the honey, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla until smoothly combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Fold in the diced apples, walnuts, and raisins.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread it evenly.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
I promise you won’t be able to resist a second slice of this Lebkuchen cake – it’s simply divine! But why not roll with the traditional and serve with a mug full of hot, steaming cocoa on the side? I guarantee it’ll be the perfect way to bring a little of Old World magic into your family’s holiday celebrations.