Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf – A Classic Twist on a Comfort Food
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes have withstood the test of time like meatloaf. That’s why I’m excited to share my take on the classic recipe! Not one to shy away from flavor, this Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf will satisfy even your most discerning guests.
The smoked bacon wrapped around the cylinder of meat gives it an irresistible and luxurious smoky flavor. The ground beef provides a hearty base as well as a nourishing feeling that lingers long after you’re done. For extra oomph, I incorporated garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Panko breadcrumbs, and diced onion for some crunch.
But that’s not all. An unusual secret ingredient – tomato passata – keeps the meatloaf both juicy and moist and helps further the exquisite smoked flavor of the bacon.
To add to the classic vibes, I decided to serve the Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf with a honey-mustard-based glaze. This sugary-tangy accompaniment is sure to satisfy even the goofiest sweet tooth.
– 2 lbs ground beef
– 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup onion (diced)
– 1/2 cup tomato passata
– 4 cloves garlic (minced)
– 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 8-10 slices smoked bacon
– 1/4 cup honey
– 2 tablespoons mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, Panko breadcrumbs, onion, tomato passata, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, salt, and pepper.
3. Mix the ingredients together until fully blended. Form the mixture into a 6-7 inch-long log shape, wrap the bacon slices around the log, and place in a large baking dish.
4. In a small bowl, combine the honey and mustard. Spread the mixture onto the top of the Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf.
5. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and the meatloaf is golden and firm.
6. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
The result of this Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf? A complex flavor and aroma that melds the wonders of smoked bacon with the comforting flavor of tomato passata and the sweetness of honey mustard. The perfect marriage of flavors and textures, this dish is sure to become a no-fuss classic in your family.
And if you’re looking for another great classic, try my recipe for Classic French Meatloaf! It’s got all the amazing flavors of classic meatloaf with a French twist.