This recipe is loaded with so many vegetables I feel like I am getting healthier every time I eat it. Despite the bad rap the Middle East has gotton in recent time I rerally think we should be grateful they shared this wonderful salad with us. Anyways. This recipe takes a little time to put together but it is really refreshing and like I said extremely healthy. It’s a nice simple, light and flavorful recipe you can eat as a meal in itself or with together with a main. The lemon juice gives you a nice detox too. Serve with a nice whole grain pita bread. Stay healthy ladies and lets hope we all lose weight in the new year. I know this salad is going to help me do just that.
- 10 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded, cored, and 1/2-inch-diced
- 1 hothouse cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and 1/2-inch-diced
- 1 can or jar (12 to 16 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 8 ounces good feta cheese, 1/2-inch-diced
- Toasted pita bread, for serving
- Place the scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, parsley, mint, and basil in a large salad bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing gently to coat all the vegetables.
- Add the feta, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss gently.
- Serve the salad with the toasted pita bread.